Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Quick Shrimp

I've been cooking for 20 years.   Yet I still find there are things that chefs write off as "simple - everyone knows how to do this!" But I don't.  Cooking yummy, tender, perfect boiled shrimp was one of those things.  Every time I would make shrimp, they were either under-cooked, over-cooked, watery, or tough.  What is this thing that "everyone knows how to do!" but I don't?  After much trial and error, I finally found my perfect (simple!) and foolproof way to make quick shrimp.  These are great for a salad at lunch, or a quick snack for the kids.

1/2 lb frozen shrimp (shells off, tails on, deveined - I get mine at Costco)
1 Tbsp salt

Place frozen shrimp in heat-safe bowl in sink (I use a round, glass corning-ware bowl).  Cover with 1 Tbsp salt and cold water (about 6 cups).  Let sit 30 minutes to thaw and brine. (Make sure this is only 30 minutes - too long and the shrimp will be salty).

Heat 6 cups water to boiling (I use an electric kettle).  Drain shrimp, place back in bowl.  Pour boiling water over shrimp.  Let sit until pink, about 5 minutes. (Longer is ok, if you are temporarily distracted.)  Drain. De-tail.

Season to taste with salt and pepper.  You can throw these in a pan with butter for a quick saute to brown, or eat as is.

No comments:

Post a Comment