Saturday, May 11, 2013

Spicy Kraut Slaw

I have spent the last 5 years having a love-hate relationship with sauerkraut.  I want to love it, but I hate it.  I tried making my own from scratch, but I don't need one more thing to make from scratch.  I tried Bubbies, which was definitely better than mine, but I still had to force myself to eat it.  Then one day I threw it onto a hamburger patty with some mayo and sriracha, and YUM!  I'm kind of on a jag right now, but this is my new topper for salad.  Throw some green lettuce on a plate, top with Spicy Kraut Slaw, add some protein, and voila, instant lunch.

Serves 1

Bubbies sauerkraut (about 1/2 cup scooped from jar with a fork)
Mayonnaise to taste (anywhere from 1 tsp - 1 Tbsp, depending on how much fat you want)
Sriracha Hot Sauce* to taste (I use about 1 tsp)

Mix together.  Or just pile on a plate and mix as you eat.

*Yes, I know Sriracha isn't paleo.  But it's a very tiny compromise that makes me happy.  You know what else isn't paleo?  When I'm burned out and don't feel like making mayonnaise so I eat Duke's in all its soybean oil-laden glory.  Still better for me than a drive-thru at McD's.  Live life and move on!

No comments:

Post a Comment