Saturday, August 8, 2009

Mirepoix

I make a batch of mirepoix all at once, and freeze in small amounts for later use. Some things I use mirepoix in are soup, meatloaf, and spaghetti sauce, to name a few.

The ratio is 2:1:1 for onion: carrot: celery. Such as:

2 lb onions
1 lb carrots
1 lb celery

Something to saute in:
butter (if you tolerate dairy - 1 stick)
OR
coconut oil (6 Tbsp)

I use 4 medium yellow onions, a 1 lb bag of carrots, and a 1 lb bag of celery. Chop very fine, using a food processor or other food chopper;  I use the meat grinder attachment on my Kitchen-Aid.  Saute the vegetables in butter/oil.   Let cool, then divide the batch into small ziploc bags, seal them, and place them all in a large ziploc for freezing.  (I usually put 1/4 cup in each bag).

No comments:

Post a Comment